Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Chapter 35 Muted Group Theory

In chapter 35 Kramarae talks about the idea that language is "man" made. Meaning that our language was developed and based around men. In this theory she points out that it excludes women, causing them to become "muted". By muted, she does not mean silent, more like ignored or disregarded. I found this theory to have a lot of truth to it, but also feel that from my own personal experiences, it is a little severe. I think the idea that women are bilingual is very true. I know from personal experience that I have had to mold the ways that I communicate to the male people who are surrounding me. One specific example was when I took a gym class in high school where I was one of two girls. I was poked fun at in the beginning but then realised that they all messed around with each other and it was not a personal attack. After realising this both me and the other girl in the class just excepted it and joined in on there jokes. Kramarae also talks about different advances for women, her examples of "sub-version" made me think of the women's lit class that I took in high school. We had two guys out of about 35 in the class. After reading journals and biographies about women they both said they they enjoyed the class and learned a lot about women.

No comments: