Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Chapter 34 Standpoint Theory

In chapter 34 Wood talks about the standpoints, she describes them in four different terms, viewpoint, perspective, outlook, and position. She talks about the idea that our standpoints are effected by the position that we as individuals hold on the social hierarchy. When I first read this chapter I found it a little hard to follow, but after discussing it in class I understand it more clearly. Wood's basic point is that when you are in a marginalized group you are less powerful therefore you are more objective. One example that comes to mind is when I was actually having a group discussion about feminism. I was the only girl in the group and we were discussing a case study that had to do with sexual harassment. The case was very unique and it was incredibly hard for me to get my point across to the other members in the group because they just could not understand where I was coming from. because they are not female there is just no way for them to ever fully understand where I was coming from. I feel like this is a strong example because it shows how marginalized groups are where they are.

No comments: