Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Chapter 30 Anxiety Uncertainty Management Theory

This intercultural theory is one that I found to have a lot of truth to it. I have had a lot of experience being around people of other cultures and can relate to it. After our class discussion, I began to think of all the different people that I have met from other countries, and tried to think of times when I felt anxiety or uncertainty when meeting them. The one memory that stands out most in my mind is when I met one of my roommates, Charlotte, who was from Holland. I felt very uncertain about her culture and whether or not we would be able to get along because of the cultural differences. After getting to know her and learning more about each other's cultures, we became good friends and were able get by the culture barrier. I feel that this also relates back to the uncertainty reduction theory axiom that says that the more you disclose the less uncertainty you have. I definitely agree that this theory is very complex, I understand it in a broad spectrum, but have a hard time seeing the theory in every detail. I do however, find myself more conscientious of how competent I am. After learning about the four levels I am striving to be conscious and competent.

No comments: