Friday, February 9, 2007

Ch. 6 Expectancy Violations Theory

After reading chapter 6 and discussing the expectancy violation theory in class, I was really surprised to find how well I could relate this theory to my life. I play field hockey for Kent State, so for the past three years that I have been here I have had quite a few teammates come from over seas. At many points through out each season I found that there were many differences in how we all go about our lives. One specific instance was at one point during my first year I had a teammate that would be very blunt in the way in which she would ask for things or make comments. At first, we all thought she was so rude but after a while realised that she wasn't intending to come across this way, it was just different in her culture. By acting this way she was violating our expectations. However, after realising why she acted this way we adapted to it. I feel that this represents the theory very well, and shows how one adapts and reacts to expectancy violations.

No comments: